Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Relief?

When Ryan was a baby I was so worried about if he was doing things at the "right" time. I think part of that was just being a first time parent and part of it was just human nature to compare. I post on a message board for parents and it's grouped by birth month. With Ryan I remember thinking that he was really behind (gross motor and speech were challanging for him) and it stressed me to no end! I was worried that I was doing something wrong. He crawled at almost 11 months, walked at 14 months and didn't really talk at all until he was 2. Now he runs like a maniac and talks pretty much nonstop. He says awesome things too! He is so creative and has an awesome imagination. But it was a little hard for me to let go and realize he would just do things at his own pace. I can't believe I worried about him being behind!

I find it a little easier with Lauren. I still post on the same message board and for Lauren's birth month she is obviously a little behind on some skills. She has a tough time with gross motor skills. She's not sitting up unsupported yet, she can't crawl, she refuses to bear weight on her legs most of the time. And you know what? I'm surprisingly okay with it! She babbles up a storm. She, according to my sister, said gator today- while chewing on a plastic alligator and my sister telling her to say it! While I think she just so happened to be babbling and ga-ta could be interpreted as gator, how exciting! She loves toys. She is the cuddliest baby I personally have ever met. I think as a second time parent it's a little easier to let go and relax. I wish I was this calm about stuff with Ryan, I would've enjoyed his babyhood more.

It's almost like Down syndrome provides a safety net and little bit of relief for me. Is that crazy? I don't stress about her not meeting milestones on time. I don't worry if she's behind kids in her age group. I can't compare her to typical kids. It's not that I have low expectations, I really don't feel like I do! I just enjoy things more and don't worry so much about the timeline. It's so easy for me to give advice to parents and say that babies are all different and do things at their own pace. But I sure wouldn't have taken that advice almost 3 years ago when Ryan was born.

Now I have little feathers of worry that what if I really do just have low expectations? See what I mean?! As parents we second guess ourselves way too much!

1 comment:

  1. This is my 4th baby,it's so true DS or not they do it when they are ready.

    ReplyDelete