Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Puppies and Rainbows

Want to know what's cuter than a 2 year old singing Old McDonald Had a Farm?

NOTHING!!! Ryan serenaded us on the way to church this morning and it was hilarious!

Now for the puppies and rainbows post...

Some people might find my blog to be too "puppies and rainbows". You know, all things cute, snuggly and sometimes unrealistic. I know I write about positive things about 99% of the time. I truly am a super positive person, I prefer to live my life this way. Worrying about tomorrow only steals the joy from today. I'm not a particularly anxious person. I don't worry about the future all that much. Because I can't control it. It's not up to me. Sure, I can do things that will impact the future and make (most of the time) responsible decisions so my family's future is as bright as possible. That's why we have way more doctors appointments for Lauren. And why she'll get therapies from Early Intervention to help her learn.

But I'm not unrealistic. Believe me, I know Lauren will face challenges that Ryan will never face. She most likely won't meet developmental milestones at the same time as her typical peers. But the reason I don't usually post about it? I don't care.

I'm sure I'll feel some disappointment or sadness when Lauren takes a bit longer to walk, talk or whatever. I know I will feel rage the first time (and probably every time) she is picked on. Hopefully as a society we are raising our children to value the lives of people who are different from us. But I can't worry about that. I can make sure that WE raise OUR children to respect everybody. But I cannot control the actions of others. And we choose to surround ourselves with people who love our daughter almost as much as we do. And we choose to rejoice in her accomplishments, whenever they may happen.

So while my blog is "puppies and rainbows" for the most part...so am I. I love puppies, they're pretty darn cute. And while rainy days suck, who doesn't love rainbows?

7 comments:

  1. Love this post!! Thank you Jackie for always being positive!! Puppies and rainbows are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being positive is good! You have been given an incredible gift...why not enjoy them! I tagged you in my post 11 random things...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a side note...I can't believe I'm sharing this...I thought unicorns were real, just extinct until TENTH GRADE!!! I found it in an ecology class in front of all the rest of the students. I wanted to die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you tag people? I want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. somehow i found your blog and check up on it once a week; i was listing to the radio last week and heard about this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136757/Boy-Downs-syndrome-triumphs-landslide-victory-crowned-schools-prom-king.html and it made me think of you and your blog. my hope is she never is picked on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for reading! That is a great article!

    ReplyDelete