Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Friday, April 27, 2012

One month post-op

This is probably my favorite blog post I've ever written. Wanna know why? I'll tell you.

Lauren's one month surgery anniversary is Sunday. And guess what we did today? We went to Walmart, went for a walk, hung out with my sister, went to Downtown Plymouth as a family, got ice cream, walked around, Ryan played in the fountain, Lauren slept in her stroller and Greg and I watched a movie. You know what that means?

Life is...normal. I never ever thought this would be our life. I was envisioning a life that was SO different from what I consider normal. When we found out Lauren would be born with Down syndrome and a heart defect I thought she'd be always sick. I thought our lives would revolve around Down syndrome. I thought I would feel so different as a person. In some ways I do. I feel more mature. Sometimes I feel like I'm 100 years older than people born the same year as I was. You don't get through open heart surgery on your 6 week old baby without feeling that way just a little bit. But I'm the same me. And to be totally honest, I kind of like myself so I'm pretty happy about it!

Our life is honestly exactly the same as it was before we had her, except for that now there is one more family member. We're the four muskateers instead of the three muskateers. We don't do anything differently other than we have a pink diaper bag and a really cute baby with us. We need more space at restaurants. It takes us a little longer to get out the door if we're going somewhere because there are two kids to get ready instead of just one. I have a distinct feeling that this is the same for pretty much every family when they choose to add another child to the barely controlled chaos that is parenting.

I just feel so free. Free to enjoy my family, free to love both of my kids so much it hurts sometimes, free to be me. Free to be normal!


6 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am so happy for you, it brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a wonderful and happy post to read! I am so glad you are feeling normal and enjoying every moment! Its great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normal is great! Enjoy your family of 4!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep - normal!!! We like that!

    ReplyDelete