Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Weigh in appointment

Today's appointment was not so great. Lauren didn't gain any weight since last week. She was up 5oz at her appointment on Wednesday but they weighed her with her diaper on.

I have to start fortifying my pumped breast milk with formula. 1tsp of powdered formula per 4oz of breast milk. I'm really bummed about it. It might sound stupid, but I feel like I'm not good enough since my milk isn't enough for her to thrive. I'm sad.

I really hope she gains weight though and am definitely willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen!

Also, there might be a mix-up in her Lasix prescription. For some reason the pediatrician thinks the dosage is too high. I'm not sure why to be honest, she wasn't very forthcoming. I don't think she appears dehydrated at all and she seems like she's breathing a lot better so getting rid of extra fluid has been good for her.

I also did NOT like the med student that was in on the appointment today. When the pediatrician asked her if she heard Lauren's heart murmer she said, "Oh yeah! I would never miss that murmer. It's really loud!" Uh, hello?! Not the best thing to say in front of a patient/parent. I feel like we learned that kind of thing day one in nursing school. Apparently she missed that day of med school.

We go back to the cardiologist,who prescribed the Lasix, on Wednesday and hopefully can get things straightened around.

The good news is that Lauren had a photo shoot today!! I promise I'll try to learn how to add more than one picture at a time so I can share them when we get them back. The photographer, Abbie, did so awesome and is so nice! Check out her photography site/blog at http://a-lloyd-photography.com/Blog/

5 comments:

  1. She is very cute.


    Students are usually just dumb. Your baby and family are in God's hands...no need to worry, His hands are big and no matter what human error (your doctors or yours), He will remain in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont beat yourself up about forumula vs. breasmilk. I have been unsuccessful three times and everytime when I finally realize we arent getting anywhere I, too, get so sad. Just remember any she gets from you is better than nothing <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a preemie and had to mix formula into my breastmilk also. I was initially not happy about it at all, but at least Lauren can have your milk. It doesn't mean your milk isn't "good enough" just that she needs a few extra calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos of Lauren on Abbie's blog are gorgeous. What a beautiful girl.

    You are doing a super job and just remember that the bit of formula top-up is just making Lauren stronger and healthier - there's no failing on your part.

    Thinking of you and sending you lots of prayers and peace in the leadup to her surgery x

    ReplyDelete