Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lauren is here!!!!

LAUREN IS HERE!!! She was born February 12, 2012 and weighed 6lbs 5oz and was 19.5 inches long. She was born at 6:42 am (after some initial confusion about what time exactly, this is the real time!) with a head full of sandy brown hair! I'm pretty sure the 21st chromosome must be responsible for cuteness because she is definitely extra cute.

My main goal was to be able to see her and possibly hold her before she would be taken to NICU for observation. We were told she'd be taken right away and we'd get to see her a little bit later. We didn't expect her to be able to stay in our room with us and we were told not to expect her to come home with us right away.

Well! Lauren is a rockstar and proved everybody wrong! I got to have skin-to-skin time and hold her while still in surgery. She never left our sight during our entire stay except for when a kind nurse offered to let us sleep for a few hours (I woke up after 2 hours and immediately called and said, "I need my baby!!") and we were discharged home together after a short 48 hour hospital stay!

Lauren had some initial issues with being too sleepy to eat. She wouldn't breastfeed or take a bottle. We were spoon feeding her colostrum before my milk came in, but the doctors said (and I totally understand) that it's not really safe for baby to send her home not eating. Apparently Lauren didn't like the sound of that and she perked up after about 12 hours and is an eating champion! Breastfeeding is still an issue but she's taking pumped milk by bottle very well!

Her echo was done in the recovery room so she didn't have to be away from me. They did find another small hole in her heart but it doesn't affect the surgery timeline at all and was not considered a significant change from the fetal echos I had done while pregnant. Her EKG was okay. She passed her newborn hearing screen too!

I am SO thrilled to have my perfect beautiful baby home with me. I still can't believe it's real life that she's here and doing so well! We have our first pediatrician visit tomorrow morning and our first cardiology visit next Wednesday the 22nd.

It might sound strange, but I was very worried that when she was born I wouldn't see Lauren, I would only see Down syndrome. It's basically exactly the opposite in reality! Now that she's here it's really such a non-issue so far. It's very comforting how similar this whole experience is to when I had my son. And Lauren and Ryan look SO MUCH alike! It's awesome. And "they" say people with Down syndrome don't look like their families! Not true.

Big brother Ryan is adjusting fairly well, for day 2 of life with a new sister. Hopefully they'll become the best of friends :)

Thank you all SO much for all of your kind words, thoughts and prayers. They have really meant a lot to me and I truly believe in the power of prayer, proved by the fact that I actually have my baby girl home with me!!!

I look forward to sharing Lauren with all of you!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Lauren is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy for you all! Lauren is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is beautiful! she's already quite popular around NorthRidge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So excited for you, and so glad to hear that Lauren has been a rockstar since she arrived. She is beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's really cute, and lucky to have such a great momma! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, and I am glad to hear that everything is going better than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! She is beautiful, and I'm so glad that everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! She is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want more pics!!! She is so cute.

    ReplyDelete