Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Friday, February 17, 2012

First pediatrician visit

Lauren had her first pediatrician visit yesterday! We saw a new doctor in the practice that we haven't seen with our son, so I was nervous.

It went great! Lauren is almost back up to her birth weight. I was worried she wasn't eating enough, but the pediatrician assured me that she's eating fine. And Lauren reassured me by eating every hour last night ;)

Her heart sounds good and the murmer is "soft" for her heart condition, which I think is good? Either way, it's not bad! They also checked her oxygen levels which were great.

It was a really good appointment and Lauren got a clean bill of health! We go back in 2 weeks to re-check her weight and make sure she's still eating well enough. We talked about breastfeeding/vs pumping and bottle feeding. The doctor was very supportive of my wish to breastfeed and was very encouraging! It's nice to hear, a lot of people will just immediately say that babies with Down syndrome can't breastfeed. She did say that Lauren may not have the energy to breast feed full time and take in the correct amount of milk, so she said if I can get Lauren to latch I should breast feed half of the time and give her pumped milk half of the time. That sounds good to me! And as an extra great surprise, Lauren did latch last night and we were able to breast feed for the first time for a couple of minutes!

Ryan is adjusting fairly well to having a baby sister! He helped her put her hat on yesterday and tried to help get dressed today! I've been trying to balance recovery with spending a lot of time with Ryan and taking care of Lauren. It's tough, but I think I'm doing okay so far!

Lauren has her first cardiology appointment next week on Wednesday, so if I don't post before then I will definitely update afterwards!

God bless and have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your beautiful Lauren! It is possible to breastfeed a baby with Down syndrome. Ben is 13 months and still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that everything went well with Lauren’s health. I think it’s great that you are breastfeeding her. It will protect her from infections and diseases. Plus, it will keep her from being constipated. It also helps prevent diabetes. Anyway, I am cheering for your baby to eat more. Go, baby Lauren! :)
    Chalice Lindgren

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was sweet! I’m sure Ryan will be a good brother to Lauren. And I’m also glad that Lauren’s stats are looking great. You take such good care of your children, especially Lauren. I can feel your love and concern for them, just by reading this post. Just continue to follow her doctor’s instructions, and I’m sure she will just be fine. Best of luck!

    -Oskar Aarden

    ReplyDelete