Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

It takes special parents to take care of special kids

There's a sentiment floating around that it takes special parents to care for children with special needs. Some people vehemently disagree with this sentiment. Some people agree.

I fall somewhere in the middle.

Does having a child with special needs require a special kind of person? No. Does it take a special person to love a person with special needs? Hell no. Just look at Lauren and you can't help but love her, regardless of how "special" you are. Try it, I dare you.

But at the same time, I do truly feel that Lauren is a special piece that fits into our unique family puzzle like no other child could. She fills a Lauren-shaped hole in both our hearts and our family. 

It certainly wouldn't take a special family to love our daughter but she sure makes our family special. Make sense?

I don't take any offense to the well-intended yet misguided notion that God only gives special children to special parents. It can sometimes be a thinly veiled "better you than me" sentiment. But you know what? If someone feels that way then yes, better us than you! Thank God we got her instead of any other family. How can I be offended? But sometimes people just want to say "great job" and aren't sure how to do it.

 As a society and as parents we're all too quick to beat each other down. I don't have a problem with trying to build someone up, pat them on the back and admire their parenting in a situation they themselves can't imagine. 

And sometimes when Lauren's delays are very apparent, whether it be her lack of speech, delayed crawling, decreased awareness and I can truly feel joy and celebrate her accomplishments... I hug her sweet little body, kiss her adorable baby face and look into her beautiful almond-shaped eyes and think maybe God really did think I was special enough for Lauren.

And there's no better feeling than that.




No comments:

Post a Comment