Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Any bets on a birthday?

I've been having contractions on and off all week.

Last night I woke up around 1am with some pretty painful contractions. I finally decided to time them and lo and behold they were 3-5 minutes apart for a good two hours! I have about 3 and a half weeks to go until my scheduled C section so I didn't want to jump the gun and call my doctor. Also, I didn't want to get sent to the hospital and then get sent home since my husband has to work all day. (This happened with our first and it was a pain in the butt!) Finally they got less strong and I was able to sleep from about 4:30-7am.

I woke up at 7 with more contractions. A hot shower helped a lot...until I was standing up to dry my hair and get ready. I had a doctor's appointment at 11:30am. How did I forget that contractions hurt so bad?!

I was having contractions about 3-5 minutes apart at my appointment today. My OB checked me again and has basically said labor could happen at any time and they won't stop it! He also said that for some reason, babies with Down syndrome tend to be born a few weeks early. Researchers don't have a concrete reason why, just that it's quite common and preterm labor is a risk. It's not a guarantee, but it's a risk. So we'll see what happens. The great thing is that Lauren's heart looked great on the monitors today! I did lose weight again, which stresses me out since she's already small. But last time that happened her growth actually jumped pretty good! Hopefully that's the case this time too.

If I have another night like last night I'm supposed to call Labor and Delivery triage and tell them what's going on and make sure they know I have a confirmed diagnosis of Trisomy 21 (the medical term for Down syndrome). And prepare to get sent in and get checked out.

My doctor doesn't know if I'll go into active labor tonight, a week from now, or make it to my scheduled C section. But he did decline to schedule any appointments for me past the one I already have scheduled for Thursday. He said, "Let's see if you're still pregnant on Thursday." He did mention while doing an exam that my hopes of a natural birth are probably not in the cards and that I'll most likely be having a repeat C section. I'm mostly okay with that, I've been planning for it all along. It was nice to hear for a second that I may be able to VBAC but today he said, "We won't be going to the ends of the earth to get a vaginal birth for you. It won't be safe for either of you and we just want her here as safely as possible. Our threshold is pretty low for what she can tolerate." I wholeheartedly agree! Obviously I'd love to not need surgery in order to have a baby but the important thing is having the baby!

Yikes! I am SO excited for Lauren to arrive. But I'm afraid for her to be early and have a longer NICU stay. And the thought of having painful contractions on and off for the next 3 weeks while chasing around a very energetic toddler makes me exhausted! I have no control over it which is honestly hard for me. I'm a planner. I like to know things ahead of time.

We would appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers we can get that when Lauren does decide to make her grand debut she will be very healthy and able to come home with her mom, dad and big brother as soon as possible! Her nursery is just about finished, the stroller and carseat are ready to go and all of her clothes are hung in the closet. All we're missing is the baby :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! I am SO excited to meet her! I will, as always, be praying for all of you and I know she will make her grand entrance exactly when she is supposed to. If she comes early, it's probably just because she's excited to meet me :)

    ReplyDelete