Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Behavior win! And Ryan is amazing.

Yesterday was one of those great family days that feels like everything goes right. Don't you just love those day?!

We woke up, I took Lauren to McDonalds' drive-thru to get her a sausage burrito and Ryan pancakes. We brought Monte along because he loves car rides.

Then we all got ready (and Greg woke up since he worked the night before) and drove an hour away to a museum with a Titanic exhibit. It was AWESOME! Ryan is really obsessed with into the Titanic currently. Monte hadn't worked in a while, so it was great for him to get the physical AND mental exercise. (Our nanny said she can always tell when Monte hasn't worked in a while because he's crazier than usual) Then we went to a restaurant that magically had an arcade attached (we weren't familiar with the area and had no clue). Then we stopped at my parents house. It was awesome!

The best part? We had this whole long day full of driving, walking (minimal walking on Lauren's part, I'll get to that), sensory overload (namely the arcade), etc. And only one meltdown! Let me say that again. ONLY ONE MELTDOWN!!!! It was at the arcade and it wasn't super involved. And it only lasted maybe 2 minutes. I think she tripped and fell or something, because I found her huddled in the pedal part of a car-racing game crying. I had to drag her out of there, but she calmed down pretty quickly. We just returned to our table, hugged, she petted Monte. That's it, meltdown over. What?!

She was a little whiny at the Titanic exhibit but loved the rest of the museum. The Titanic part was all real artifacts in display cases. You couldn't even touch the cases without alarms sounding. Mix that with a very impulsive five year old. Yep, we made Lauren sit in her wheelchair the majority of the time. She convinced me she wanted to get out a couple of times (clearly I am insane because each time I expected it to go differently). She was really good though! Minimal complaining. There was a huge "iceberg" actually made of us that the kids got to touch. Monte was thrilled to be with Lauren. He's trained to walk ahead of me by a couple feet so he can be directly next to Lauren in her chair. At one point he just leaned over and rested his huge head in her lap. It was really sweet. Ryan absolutely loved the whole thing. And after the Titanic exhibit there was a kids play area with an ambulance the kids could "drive". Then there was an autoworker exhibit.

It was such an awesome day. I'm not sure if it is maybe our behavior medicine kicking in, or the fact that we had Monte with us, or a combination of both. But the stars aligned yesterday and it was amazing. Our whole lives generally revolve around Lauren's behavior, so it was really awesome to have such a great day. The day before my twin sister and I attempted Costco with Lauren...sans Monte because I couldn't find his pack. If you happened to be at our Costco and saw two adult women attempting to wrangle an angry and very flexible five year old into a ridiculously tall shopping cart, it wasn't us. Nope, no sirree. Not us.


As a side note, anyone that knows our Ryan in real life knows he is seriously such a great kid. He's also a little quirky and speaks like an adult. It's been my favorite thing about him since he was two years old and started talking. It used to be scripting from Thomas the Train, and hearing a little kid use correct train terminology was hilarious. Here's a few snippets from our museum visit yesterday:

-Oh, so they excluded the other half (of the 3D model of the ship, so you could see the inside)
-I'm concerned it's not safe. Have you checked the data? (He initially thought we were getting on an actual ship made to be a replica of the Titanic)
-I am not getting in a submarine. I don't have enough bravery.
-I think it took a million blueprints to build the Titanic


1 comment:

  1. New ALS cure with the help of Dr Oz herbal medication for any email OZREMEDYCURE@GMAIL.COM

    All thanks to Dr Oz for curing my ALS with his Herbal medication, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Oz to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after my test result have confirmed me of ALS of 5 years Negative,i have never in my life believed that ALS could be cured by Herbal mediccion so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have be diagnosed with ALS should contact Dr Oz try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email

    Ozremedycure@gmail.com

    Or call him on +2348056391583

    ReplyDelete