Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

When are you going to start working?

As most of you (if I know you in "real life") know, I recently became a registered nurse! Go me!

The plan was to try to get a job while pregnant and just take a normal maternity leave. Lauren having Down syndrome never changed that plan. The gamechanger was her heart. The doctors and social workers at the hospital said we should anticipate a 1-2 week hospital stay and that parents take off anywhere from 4-12 weeks from work after their baby has open heart surgery.

I didn't feel that it was realistic or professional to expect an employer to give a brand new employee 8 weeks off after a C section plus anywhere from 1 to 3 months off for her surgery. If Lauren has her surgery at 4 months old I would have only been at work for 2 months before needing this time off. I feel like the responsible thing as a possible employee would be to be up front about this information and the time I would need off. Lauren will be here in 11 weeks or less (yay!) so the chances of me even finding a job would be slim right now anyways.

So believe me, I plan on working. I worked my butt off for the last few years to earn my nursing degree, pass the state boards and become a registered nurse. I really enjoy the field of nursing, it's what I was meant to do. I am very exciting to start working! But it will have to wait until after Lauren has her surgery.

To be honest I am REALLY enjoying my time home! I started the nursing program I completed when Ryan was only 5 months old. I graduated when he was 20 months old. I love getting to spend so much time with him right now, especially since he won't have my undivided attention for very long! Being a stay at home mom certainly doesn't pay very well, but it is so much more FUN than I expected. I get the feeling that returning to the working world will be very bittersweet.

2 comments:

  1. What you're doing now is a full-time job! You don't get paid in money, but you get paid in hugs, kisses, and memories! Keep up the great work, this is all leading you to be a GREAT nurse in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juggling a new baby, work and OHS is never easy! Claire had her OHS at almost 5 months. She was in the hospital 3 days and I think I took a month off after the surgery. I'm sure you'll find a job you love when the time is right to go work outside of the home.

    ReplyDelete