Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Almost back to school. Send help.

Time is flying by. I know they say time flies when you're having fun, but dang. I can't believe it's already nearing the end of August. Lauren starts school in 2 weeks and Ryan in 3 weeks. Greg starts back to work/school tomorrow.

Yep, as of tomorrow I'm back to living a double life of being a full time working mom and a stay at home mom on my days off! The upside to being a nurse is working 3 days a week. The downside is cramming a full work week in 3 days.  It's been almost 2 years since Greg left his job to stay home. I feel so unprepared!! He seems to be a natural parent where I have to work at it a lot more.

Lauren is now walking unassisted. She's not too bad at it, either! Not too shabby for 2 and a half, if I do say so myself. It's hilarious because she wants to walk all the time now, even when it's not the best idea. And she doesn't even remotely follow directions...she walks wherever she feels like walking. Luckily, Ryan is a big helper and loves to chase his baby sister.

I can hardly believe she starts preschool in 2 short weeks. I remember getting our prenatal diagnosis and the first question I asked the genetic counselor was if she'd go to a regular preschool. Hello, overthink much? I'm so excited for her. And I truly don't at all care that it's a special ed preschool. Funny, I really thought it would matter, but it doesn't at all. It helps that Ryan will be going as well.

And Ryan. How is my tiny baby boy starting his last year of preschool? Didn't I just bring him home from the hospital, scared out of my mind and wondering why anyone would trust me with an infant? I still remember with utmost clarity the very moment I found out I was pregnant with him. I took a test to reassure myself I wasn't pregnant and the stick turned pink before I even got done peeing. The feelings of "oh shit" and "how amazing" swirled together like the best mix of terror and excitement and nausea all rolled into one.  I hope this school year lasts forever because next year he'll be in full day kindergarten and I don't think I'll ever be ready for that.

We just got back from an awesome northern Michigan vacation. It was so much fun, very relaxing and spent with 28 of the best family members a girl could ever ask for!

Ryan riding Sandy the Horse during a late night Meijer run

Lauren on a bike ride with Greg
 
Even the ever-popular Aunt Kristen stopped by on vacation! Sometimes friends are just as good as family...so you claim them as family. We love her!
 
Lauren decided to become a full time walker on vacation!

 
Our view from the "house". I don't really know what to call it. It was a huge 11 bedroom, 13 bathroom home on Wildwood Lake. Amazing!!
 
If you're thinking to yourself, "Wow, those kids look pissed to be having their picture taken!" it's because they were. Ain't nobody got time for that.
 
 
So now I have to re-learn how to parent by myself. I'm not exaggerating. Greg does everything around the house and takes awesome care of the kids while I sleep a lot during the day. Now I have to lose sleep AND start cleaning up after myself. I might even have to start doing laundry. :::shudder:::
 


No comments:

Post a Comment