Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Monday, November 4, 2013

Please approach us!

I feel like we're very lucky in that we've only had good experiences with people approaching us in public to talk about Down syndrome. I LOVE it!

I was holding Lauren and waiting in line to pick up Ryan from his classroom at church. A woman comes up and said how beautiful Lauren is and asked her name. Lauren, my ambassador to friendship, is active trying to kiss this woman on the lips! Hilarious and embarrassing. 

Then this woman said, "I have a sister...she's 39 and has Down syndrome. She has her own apartment, my parents built it onto their house for her! She also had a boyfriend and a job. She's happy and she has a very full life. I thought maybe you'd want to know that."

How amazing!! I must be very approachable because this kind of thing happens a lot. It makes my heart smile :)

We've had people come up to us at the mall, at the park, at church, at restaurants...just to say hello and talk about their connection to Down syndrome. We even had one woman (who's 19 year old son was not with her because he was with his friends) say "Well, we're all family so I wanted to say hi!"

I love the sense of community Down syndrome has blessed us with.

No comments:

Post a Comment