Sometimes it feels like a lifetime ago, and sometimes it feels like just yesterday.
SEVEN years ago today, we walked into our ultrasound appointment excited to confirm that we were having a baby girl. We walked out devastated, terrified, and anxious. Seven years ago today we found out our baby girl would be born with Down syndrome. We had an incredibly supportive team at U of M when we got the diagnosis and feel so lucky that our experience was as positive as possible. It didn't make it easy news to hear.
Seven years later, I can look back on what a gift we've been given. I don't always love Down syndrome, but I always love our Lauren and wouldn't change anything about her.
Today isn't Lauren's birthday, but it marks a rebirth in me and was the catalyst for so much change in my heart. Today marks the anniversary of my line in the sand, my life's before and after moment. I used to say that I was a different person before this day, and that I didn't know if I liked myself better before or after. Now, seven years later, I can say there have been changes in my life and in my heart that can only be by the grace of God.
I've learned to love more fiercely, believe in the impossible, ask for help when I need it (work in progress), and to see more of the good in this world.
Lauren, you were the child we didn't know we needed and we are so immeasurably blessed to be your family. Happy diagnosis day, baby girl.

No comments:
Post a Comment