I can't even believe how quickly time is flying! It's 2021, the kids are back in school (hallelujah), and Lauren turns 9 in less than a week. I'm still working part time, but am picking up about 4 hours extra each week at the COVID vaccine clinic.
Last month Lauren got a palate expander appliance from the orthodontist. She's tolerating it WAY better than I expected. She's struggling to manager her saliva and her speech is a little tough to understand. But she's eating normally for the most part. Some foods get stuck in it, but it's honestly provided an easy way to eliminate some foods that aren't healthy anyway (sticky things like candy, chewy things like bread). Her lunches have become a lot more healthy, I'm sending her food in a bento box and she usually gets some turkey lunch meat, some turkey pepperoni, and some fruit. Maybe some applesauce. The first couple days she refused to eat all together, instead say she would just wait 8 months (when her palate expander comes out)!
Ryan is the worlds best kid, as usual. He's adapted beautifully to school shifting around (virtual, in person, virtual, in person) and while he doesn't love math he does really enjoy history! He comes home with new information to tell me every day and I love it. He tried skiing last weekend! It was AMAZING!!! For a kid with anxiety to try something new, much less something that requires physical exertion, is a big deal. He did great on the bunny hill and so did I. It's an expensive hobby, but we're really hoping to go one more time this winter.
My health has been mostly really good! I notice such a difference in my energy level and how my body feels now that I'm working part time and putting less stress on myself. That being said, I've been a little overzealous and I kind of a little bit passed out on Tuesday evening when I stood up from the couch. (Vision went black, rushing sound in my ears then total silence, heart absolutely pounding - my Apple Watch actually glitched out and didn't record a heart rate for 15 minutes during this time, and I fell back on the couch.) I slowly sat up and tried again only to have a major wave of dizziness and heart pounding a few minutes later, so I drank a Gatorade and laid down for an hour. I think it's because I just really overdid it physically. Thursday I worked 11 hours. Friday I went for a hike. Saturday we went skiing. Sunday I did went to church, went grocery shopping, worked out, went to small group at a friend's house. Monday I worked 11 hours, then worked out. Tuesday I cleaned my whole house, did a ton of errands, and worked out. I think my body was telling me to chill out! I think I sometimes purposely push myself to prove I CAN, but obviously just because I can do something doesn't mean I should. I felt really fatigued Wednesday (my only workout was taking the dog for a 1.5 mile walk) and Thursday (I worked an 11 hour shift). Friday I worked 4 hours at the vaccine clinic and then got 2 flat tires on the way home. Today I took it really easy, I just straightened up the house a bit, played with the kids, we went to Target, and I did a quick 20 minute workout). I'm trying to balance working out (because it makes me feel so much better overall) and giving myself a break.
Overall, 2021 is shaping up nicely for us! I'm thankful that we're all healthy and that I'm able to devote so much time to my family.

No comments:
Post a Comment