Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Tonsillectomy

Lauren had her tonsils and adenoids removed on 10/5. I was so scared and almost cancelled multiple times! I had mine out almost 3 weeks ago and I'm still not feeling back to myself yet.

She's doing way better than I did. As long as I'm not late with giving her pain meds, she's really doing fantasic. Nobody's sleeping because I'm waking her up every 4 hours for meds, but it's 100% worth it to make sure she's not feeling badly.

The surgery went great, no complications. She is, however, apparently one of those people that wakes up from anesthesia really agitated. As soon as we got a glimpse of her I knew it would be a nightmare. She was agitated, out of it, and her OCD was in overdrive. She was refusing to drink anything so we were thiiiis close to being admitted. Her OCD was largely centered around the tape holding her IV in. She just kept saying 'I want it off. I want it off. I want it off.". She couldn't stop moving her arms and legs. It was bizarre. I felt so helpless because nothing I was doing or saying was helpful. She didn't want to be touched. She finally drank some water so they were willing to pull the IV. Then she wouldn't let them touch her. Luckily, she was willing to let me do it and the PACU nurses were comfortable with this. Thank GOD I'm a nurse!

So yeah, about that being a nurse? I mean, I knew this already, but it is so different when it's your own child. I had to step out of the room for a second and totally lost it. I was sobbing, it was so so sad. I know that in comparison to her medical/surgical history, tonsils and adenoids are nothing. But I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a minor procedure when it's your kid.

She's feeling lots better and I am so thankful everything went well.

In all honesty, it's making me re-think doing the surgery she needs for her foot. She get around pretty well and hasn't complained of a lot of pain lately. We'll have to play it by ear. I feel like a horrible mom for saying that, but I'm terrified of going through that recovery process again.

1 comment:

  1. So we have all had multiple surgeries (me-appendix, gall bladder, tummy tuck/muscle repair, MCP tendon repair/trigger finger, brain surgery) and the girls have had multiple procedures, ear tubes, etc, and 3 major spinal surgeries between the two of them.

    I am getting my tonsils out in December and my 6yo is getting hers out in early November at the same time as a patch to her ear drum. I will tell you I am DREADING this, especially for me! (Any tips!??!)

    ReplyDelete