Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Choosing grace

Lauren's biggest behavior struggle is her impulse control. She is super impulsive and it can cause her to be unkind when she really doesn't mean to be. It's worse when she's constipated, so that's an added layer.

We went to the grocery store tonight, just her and I (plus Monte of course). She was SO sweet and affectionate. She hugged me, kissed me, told me she loves me, held my hand, rubbed my head. I cherish those moments so much.

She also took a bite out of several plums, almost bit into a radish until I caught her face with my palm, hugged a basket of bagels, and knocked on my face (imagine knocking on a door...except for it was my face). She also grabbed my grocery list and threw it on the ground multiple times. She tossed my credit card onto the conveyer belt three times. She got to pick a candy for not eloping (she chose to hold onto Monte's back instead of using her tether and I'm trying to give her a little independence). She then changed her mind and threw the original choice on the floor and stomped on it. We bought smashed peanut butter M&M's 😂 This was all while I was trying to unload our groceries and pay the poor cashier. He was so incredibly nice and I tried to explain by saying ,"We're just having one of those days". He said thats okay, he sometimes has days too. Another woman I thought was judging me in the produce aisle actually approached me and said her adult daughter has Down syndrome and just wanted to say hi.

It's so incredibly nice when people see a family struggling and instead of judging choose offer grace and compassion. I can't put into words how much I appreciate it. It made the difference between laughing and crying for me, and the truth is I was on the cusp of both by the time we headed up to pay.

Tonight as I rocked her to sleep she told me, "I love you mommy. You kiss me mommy? I hug you mommy". And then she said, "I pull your hair please mommy". Uh, negative on the last one. But seriously, so sweet!

Today was not easy but it was a day I really saw her sweet personality behind her impulsive behavior. And she really is such a great kid. We took her for ice cream when I got home from work (Ryan got to go to a Tiger's game tonight with my dad, sister, and nephew). She thanked us multiple times and was so, so adorable. She was so chatty all day. She told us "Red means go, green means stop", and then cracked up because she knows that's not right. She then said, "That's silly! Green means go, red means stop!"

I am so thankful for this beautiful and complex child. As others choose grace with us, I have to remind myself to choose grace with her and today was a great reminder for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment