Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

She's FIVE!!

I can't believe she's 5 years old. Didn't I just have her? She's currently sitting next to me on the couch asking me a zillion questions while waiting for Signing Time to start. It's so much fun to spend time with her!

Her biggest strength right now is speech. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to how many words she has. Her spontaneous speech is awesome. She is extremely sassy and talks back just as much, if not more than, any other five year old. And I have to say, I did not anticipate that! Here are some examples of a few funny things she's said lately.

Lauren: I want to go swimming! (She came up to me completely naked. She was dressed 2 seconds before this).
Me: No Lauren, we're going to Kroger! Go put your clothes back on immediately!
Lauren: Are you kidding me?! I can't!

Me: Alright Lauren, it's time to go to school!
Lauren: I can't go to school, my teacher is sick! (not true)
Me: Well, then we should go to school and tell her to feel better!
Lauren: Mommy, you can just talk to her on the phone.

And then today she told me, "When daddy get home from work I listen to mommy!" I asked her if she could just listen to me now. She said, "Uuummmmmm..." It was definitely a no.

She's a huge bedtime staller and her excuses are so typical. "But mommy, I so thirsty!" "But mommy, I so hungry!" "Mommy, it's so dark! I can't see my big toe!" (Okay, maybe that last one isn't so typical)

Speech is definitely her biggest strength right now. It's so much fun to have conversations with her and I love hearing about her day. She is a total chatterbox and I absolutely love it! There are times I would love just 5 minutes of silence, but I really am so thankful that her speech is such a strength for her.

She currently loves ketchup more than anyone on this planet loves anything. It's absolutely disgusting, lol. Today she force fed me a goldfish cracker dipped in ketchup against my will. She regularly smells like ketchup. She's still a champion eater and will eat pretty much anything except for broccoli, and even then she'll sometimes surprise us! She loves movies. Her current favorites are Secret Life of Pets, Frozen, Inside Out, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles, and Finding Dory. She is still head over heels about books. She loves to go swimming. She still really loves animals and is so excited to get her service dog in April.

We celebrated her 5th birthday last weekend with a Frozen themed party! She got a couple of preschool workbooks. She loves to do "homework" when Ryan does his. We mostly just have her tracing shapes and lines. She's not tracing letters yet. Fine motor skills are definitely a weakness for her. We're working on this with wooden block letter puzzles. She's so good at them! It's been amazing for letter recognition as well! She is hit or miss with behavior. She's awesome for everyone but me, it seems like. I know this is 100% my fault. I'm way too easy on her. Her go to apology for me is "I sorry mommy. I won't do it again". It's so adorable and totally not true because whatever she promises not to to again, she does. She still really struggles with being impulsive, which includes running from us. It's easier in the winter because we're just out less. She's also less likely to try to get out of the house in the winter.

She can spell "cow" like a champ. Pig is usually correct. She did, however, recently spell hen in an interesting way..."C-I-5"! She was so proud of herself, too! She's doing awesome at recognizing letters out in the community. C, O, W, E are currently her best letters. She's counting to 10 when she feels like it. I honestly thought she couldn't until our pediatrician told her to do it. She still loves school, but every Wednesday (when I'm home) she tries to get out of going. She doesn't usually tell us about her day, opting instead to say "nothing" or "I only want mom!" But today she told me that she is a diamond and her friend Hope is a circle. I'm assuming they're assigned a shape at school but she could totally be making this up!

Her health has been pretty stellar, save for a bout of the GI crud that was going around. She recently had a sedated CT scan that ruled out atlanto-axial instability. We got the all clear right before Christmas!

She is such an amazing little girl and I still can't believe she's mine to keep. She still prefers me over daddy most days, which I love so much. I'm absolutely positive nobody in the whole world will ever love me more than she does. And nobody could ever love her as much as I do, though she is super easy to love. She always tells me I'm her best friend, though she is indiscriminate about who she says that to. Strangers, airplanes, dogs, cats, trees, are all "best friend!". Ryan is an amazing big brother and is so incredibly patient with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment