Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Prayers for Sandy Hook

Yesterday when I went to pick Ryan up from preschool, I was in tears. I hugged him and I cried. I couldn't help but think of the 20 families in Newtown, CT that didn't get to pick their children up from school. Having a child is truly like trusting your heart to walk around outside of your body. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through. I am so incredibly sad for them.

We all sit  back after tragedies like that and say, "Something must be done." But what? And who? Nobody can agree what to do, it turns into politics and gun control and who's fault it was and placing blame on the government, the schools, the mother, autism, divorce...

The truth is that something must be done. And I don't think it's as easy as gun control. Or "putting God back into our schools" (which has been tossed all over Facebook). Personally, I think something major needs to happen for mental health. Mental health is the forgotten healthcare platform because you can't see it. It's a stigma nobody wants, nobody talks about and nobody wants to throw money at. With our current national debt and spending rising in unprecidented ways, can't just a fraction go to mental health? Please?

Read this woman's blog post. I am Adam Lanza's Mother

For now, all I can do is pray.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren's mommy - I've followed your blog for some time now and I wanted to pass along the name of a musician, Eric Genuis. He plays beautiful music all over the world, but more importantly he has a beautiful daughter, Anastasia, who has Down Syndrome. He has played his music for some organizations that support Down Syndrome, and who knows maybe he will come back to Michigan to perform sometime. I met him a few months ago as he played at a fundraiser in Ann Arbor for Perinatal Hospice, an organization that helped my family and I when our daughter died in February 2012. Eric wrote a song for his daughter called "Here I am" when she was born. Perhaps you can relate to the lyrics. His facebook page is, Eric Genuis - The Time is Now. I hope you enjoy learning about him.

    ReplyDelete