Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Amazed

Today I am just simply amazed at how much Lauren has grown and changed since her birth.

How on earth did she go from this:
and this:
to this:
in just 9 short months? How is that even possible? It's almost like her hospitalization and surgery and complications were in another lifetime. Did it even happen? It's so crazy to feel that way, but I do. Finally! I felt like it would always feel so incredibly fresh in my heart and in my mind. And I know that sometimes it still will. That part of our lives will always be there. But I am just amazed that she is a little girl now. She loves splashing in the bath tub, sitting up on her own, playing with books, eating snacks, petting Grandma's dog. She saw herself in the mirror yesterday and her whole face lit up as she waved at the baby in the mirror. She danced back and forth while on her hands and knees and danced her head right into her stand-up toy, then laughed.

I look at her face sometimes and wonder if she's even real. Is this actually happening? She is such a miracle that I still feel like I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm really awake.

The feeling of wholeness that our family has right now is just wonderful and we definitely do not take it for granted. The kids and I trekked to the grocery store this morning. We played with trains, made breakfast and watched Pound Puppies. Lauren fell asleep in her exersaucer while Ryan pretended to sleep on the couch. All such every day, normal things that feel so extraordinary to me. I can barely believe this is the same life I had 8 months ago when Lauren was so sick. I missed Ryan so much my heart ached. I was so sad for my baby that my soul ached. And I missed my husband like crazy. The fact that we all get to be together leaves me in awe.

I am amazed.

Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

2 comments:

  1. I totally get it! We didn't have any complications but it seems impossible that Cate was ever taking Lasik and other drugs to keep her heart working before the surgery. Just like the not so fun parts of having a baby - the joy has a way of replacing the fear.

    ReplyDelete