Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

New skills and life updates

Lauren has been doing so many new things!!

Just recently she's started consistently making eye contact and smiling these huge, open mouth, eye crinkling smiles. It's amazing! I love it so so much, I forgot how great baby smiles are. It's like whoever she smiles at is the only person in her whole world at that moment. Even Ryan loves it, he got a huge smile the other day and said, "Mommy, she 'miled at me!" (He doesn't say the s sound so well, hah)

Another great thing? She coos now! She has the cutest little voice and she's been "talking" more and more. It makes me feel like she's so happy!

I am so happy that she's doing so well. I don't honestly know if she's meeting the 3 month developmental milestones, I haven't looked them up! She is, however, doing things on her own time and that's fine by me. She will hopefully (fingers crossed) be starting early intervention therapy very soon. We got the runaround about which school district would be providing services, and then found out that they don't do a full schedule of evaluations and therapies over the summer. They do monthly evaluation clinics for the summer so I'm going to call tomorrow and hope I can get her in for June's clinic. It's not really acceptable to wait until the fall, she'll be 7 months by then and we want to start asap. I think it might get tricky because we live in one city but are in a different city's school district. I have left so many voicemails and emails in the past week and was shocked to actually get a call back today!

I think we'll be doing some private therapies as well through an amazing special needs clinic nearby. We actually went to a donor benefit last fall when we were pregnant with Lauren and were SUPER impressed. Greg's grandparents donated a pretty big chunk of change and as a result, we got to go to the benefit. I've been emailing with the doctor who runs the clinic and I'll let her know my schedule for the next few weeks and she's going to find time to meet with us. We met her at the benefit and she is awesome!

In other news, I GOT A JOB!!! I am officially a working RN. I'm so excited! It's with the hospital system where I did most of my clinical rotations in school. I really never wanted to work anywhere else, so I am so excited for this opportunity! I started on Monday. Life is c-r-a-z-y now, but I love it. I love getting out of the house, meeting new people, earning money and pretty much everything else about it and I'm still in orientation! Kudos to all of the stay at home moms, it's a really hard job that doesn't pay very well at all and it's also not for me.

Life is awesome and totally nuts lately. And Greg and I are taking a kids-free weekend trip to Chicago soon! We haven't had time like that to ourselves since we were pregnant with Ryan so we are so excited! When we found out that Lauren had Down syndrome I was envisioning a life of never spending time with my husband or doing this as a couple. Yeah, so not true! I am going to miss the kids so incredibly much (I miss them so much while I'm at work, more than I thought I would) but I miss the one-on-one time with my hubby too. I am loving our new normalcy.

4 comments:

  1. You can have as much alone time with Greg as you want, because I am obsessed with your children! :) Aunt Bubbles' house is the place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Lauren! And yay for a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! good for you for taking a weekend away! its been a rollar coaster I'm sure and you both deserve it

    ReplyDelete