Welcome to my blog!

A blog about our busy family with two amazing kids, one of whom happens to have Down syndrome!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Great baby check-up

I had my 25 week appointment today. It was only the second time seeing my OB since getting our diagnosis by the high risk team (all anatomy scans and amnios are done by the high risk team at the main hospital).

Last time he was overwhelmingly negative about the fact that our baby has Down syndrome. He was honestly awful and I was dreading having to see him for the duration of my pregnancy and delivery. He was also an hour late, which immediately made me think he was Googling Down syndrome right before he came in!

Today he was WAY better! So nice. He said he'd been thinking of me and asking how I was holding up. I said, "Honestly, I'm fine. We're fine. We've known that she has Down syndrome for over a month now. It's our new normal. We're just worried about her heart." (More on the heart issue later, I promise.)

He wants to see me every 2 weeks from here on out, until he moves it up to weekly. Starting next month I go monthly for growth ultrasounds on top of the monthly fetal echos I have to monitor her heart. I also start next month getting non-stress tests (or NSTs) twice a week. As my doctor said, "We'll be seeing a lot of each other." The great news is that he will do the NSTs in his office, so I don't have to travel to U of M Hospital twice a week!

He did say that he feels the frequency of visits is "overkill" but it is standard in our situation and we'd ALL rather be safe than sorry.

Overall it was a really good appointment. Baby's heartbeat was in the 140's, which is perfect. I feel pretty good, for being over half-way through my pregnancy.

Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Love you guys! If you ever need company at an appointment call me! I'll come with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie~ I am so glad to read that the Doctor's attitude changed to a positive one!! I am glad you had a good check up and are feeling good!!

    ReplyDelete